Water Heater Safety
Yesterday was the 39th anniversary of the January 19, 1982 explosion at the Star Elementary School in Spencer, Oklahoma. Shortly after noon that day, an 80-gallon water heater exploded and destroyed the concrete wall that separated the kitchen from the lunchroom. Six children and a teacher were killed by the blast. More than 30 students and adults were injured. Root causes of the explosion included improper maintenance practices and defective replacement parts.
This video of the event was produced by the Arkansas Department of Labor Boiler Inspection Division: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKYx3ayvDME
Please consider sharing this information with your coworkers and contractors (link provided below). It may help prevent another tragedy.
Thank you for sharing VPPPA Region 2!